An archaeological dig on the site of the old market hall at Albrighton, which was granted a royal charter to hold markets and fairs in 1232, has uncovered possible remains of an even earlier building dating back many hundreds of years.
Fifteen children from Albrighton Primary School helped to find small broken pieces of pottery dating between 1290 and 1550 and lots of broken tobacco clay pipes dating between 1650 and 1750 as well as very old glass. The children were involved with the sifting and the washing of the finds.
The excavation was organised after last year’s dry summer led to a strange patchwork on the grass, an indication that it was the site of an historic building… so historians, archaeologists and schoolchildren were thrilled when, five layers down, they discovered a compacted earth floor.
Organisers of the dig, the Wolverhampton Archeology Group, hope there will be more excavations in future. For details visit tlaloc.demon.co.uk.