‘The children love helping me prepare their evening meals, so when they got home from school one afternoon recently, we decided to adapt a recipe we had into our own dish, using some great fresh ingredients to create a perfect midweek family supper that was easy to make, tasty, low in fat and lightly spiced. We ate it with chunks of granary bread and lightly fried curly kale.’
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 clove garlic – not much, so it doesn’t interfere with the cinnamon taste
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 chicken breast per person, sliced lengthways
- ½ litre chicken stock
- 8 apricots (2 per person), sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds, to taste
- Sprig of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 dessert spoon of natural yoghurt, to serve
Heat the oil in a frying pan and lightly fry the garlic and onions.
Add the cinnamon and chicken, stirring so each fillet is covered with cinnamon.
Simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the apricots.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the almonds and coriander.
This month’s recipe comes from Lady Harriet Hamilton, marketing manager of Apley Farm Shop.