This July marks 125 years since one of the jewels in Bridgnorth’s crown, the Cliff Railway, opened. To celebrate, a special first-day stamp cover has been produced. The Bridgnorth Cliff Railway made its first ascent on 7 July 1892 and is the oldest and steepest Inland Electric Funicular Railway. The opening ceremony was performed by the mayor of the day, John Anderson, using a golden key presented to him by the railway’s founder, engineer and Brunel disciple George Croydon Marks. In 2011, the heritage and care of the railway was taken over by the Tipping family, who are cousins of Marks. The history and continuation of the Railway as a working means of transport is held dear by the people of Bridgnorth, and it attracts thousands of visitors each year. The first-day cover has been produced by Buckingham Covers.
A Bridgnorth initiative launched to help businesses look beyond lockdown is proving successful, with some creative partnerships being formed as a result. Bridgnorth-based consultancy Good2Great