Having recently heard, for another year of a number of suspected antifreeze poisoning cases in the Bridgnorth area, we are deeply concerned and therefore want to bring this issue to your attention.
Many animals like the sweet taste of antifreeze and ingestion of even the smallest amount can be fatal. Aside from the obvious spills that animals have access to, it is thought that one of the biggest culprits is the use of antifreeze in ornamental water fountains, which many inquisitive cats drink from. Just licking one paw after stepping in contaminated water can be enough to cause renal failure and eventual death in cats!
To keep your pets safe
- Always keep anti antifreeze in well sealed, labeled containers in a place away from pets
- Clean up any spills straight away no matter how small
- Dispose of old antifreeze safely and responsibly (Contact your local Authority for advice)
- When your car is serviced, ask the garage to check your water coolant is not leaking.
Signs to look for
- Appearing drunk, uncoordinated and sleepy
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased thirst and therefore urination
Survival is highly dependent on how quickly the signs are noticed and the pet receives veterinary treatment. If left untreated unfortunately animals will suffer and the outcome will always be fatal.
In many states in America it is now against the law to produce antifreeze without an added bittering agent and dye which stains the animals mouth, so should poisoning occur it can be picked up immediately to increase chances of survival. There are many petitions available on line so that similar laws can be introduced in the UK, please have a look and sign one if you are in support!!